RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – COVID’s latest onslaught through its Delta variant is hitting people and businesses in a number of ways, from more illness to growing requirements for vaccinations and the returning of mandatory masks. But if jobs listings are an indicator of real economic impact then so far business remains strong. At least in the Triangle and much of the state.
As TechWire reported last week, North Carolina’s seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate totaled 4.4% in July, down 0.2% from June. That figure is still a major improvement from July 2020, when unemployment topped 8.8%. Economist Mike Walden told TechWire the report is a positive shift for the state’s labor market, noting that job gains were recorded for both the household and business surveys.
After a slight dip earlier this month, many national job boards recorded decent gains in Triangle-area jobs over the past week. Dice.com, for example, counted over 600 listings added across Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill in the last seven days. LinkedIn, however, showed Durham dropped -1,300 jobs since last week, while ZipRecruiter counted another -387.
But overall, today’s Jobs Report shows notable hiring activity across the board. Google is ramping up hiring at its new site in Durham, Deloitte has over 1,300 job openings at its offices in Raleigh and Morrisville, and thousands of high-demand health sector jobs are available at WakeMed Health and Hospitals and the UNC Health Care System.
WRAL TechWire is tracking the Triangle’s job trends as the region continues its economic recovery. Our weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring and for what positions. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Let’s highlight what’s new on the job boards since last week’s Jobs Report:
National Job Search Sites
Here’s an overview of the number of local jobs posted on national job boards compared to last week, as of Sunday afternoon.
- ⇑ Wake County: 36,390 jobs (+163 from a week ago)
- ⇓ Raleigh: 20,347 (-202)
- ⇓ Durham County: 9,443 (-520)
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 14,279 (+631)
- ⇑ Durham: 13,996 (+611)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 13,749 (+619)
- Glassdoor: ⇑ 51,285 jobs across the Triangle area (+1,195)
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 13,514 (+519)
- ⇑ Durham: 6,793 (+126)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 3,402 (+10)
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 24,197 (-399)
- ⇓ Durham: 11,869 (-1,377)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 2,391 (-38)
- Manpower (20-mile radius):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 14 (-4)
- ⇑ Durham: 15 (+4)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 14 (+4)
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 37,608 (+3)
- ⇓ Durham: 14,158 (-387)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 3,927 (+13)
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (229 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (1,522 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (260 startup jobs in/near RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle — serving over 470 members. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals. Every month, it hosts a free “Transitions Mastermind” program for job seekers and those seeking advice on career improvement.
AMA Triangle’s job board currently shows 85 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 39 results in Durham and 34 results in Chapel Hill (with the 25-mile radius filter).
Only three new jobs were added over the past week:
- Verizon is looking to add a product marketing manager to its Cary office.
- The American Dance Festival is hiring a communications and marketing director in Durham.
- Xylem, a water technology provider headquartered in New York, is hiring a communications/IoT systems engineer for several locations, including Raleigh and Morrisville.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by job function, location, company, industry and job title. As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 214 jobs at 30 companies.
Several jobs were posted in the last seven days:
- Health care firm Aledade is looking for a practice transformation specialist in Raleigh.
- Insurtech startup Policygenius added listings for an acquisition marketing manager and two case management coordinators in Durham.
- Local workforce software provider CloudFactory is looking to hire a senior client success manager and a global channel sales manager in Raleigh.
- Crossrope, a fitness tech startup in Raleigh, is hiring a graphic designer.
- Durham digital consultancy Pathos Ethos seeks two ruby on rails developers.
- Local telecommunication firm Relay seeks a business operations intern in Raleigh.
- Insurtech startup Noyo is hiring a remote engineering manager.
- Real estate startup Acre Labs added listings for a customer experience lead and a product operations lead in Durham, as well as a remote capital markets lead.
Earlier this year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs, with 551 openings at 28 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- North Carolina Central University seeks an administrative support associate, an assistant professor, facility maintenance technicians and a vehicle/equipment repair technician in Durham.
- Blue Cross NC is hiring for several positions in Durham, including senior program manager, client delivery expert, strategic client consultant, senior enterprise project manager, program manager, senior business systems analyst, associate counsel, data analyst, Python developer, requirements management practice team leaders, IT vendor service delivery manager, business application expert, strategic advisor of planning and performance, special investigations unit investigator, strategic provider relationship consultant and program coordinator.
- Truist Financial Corporation is hiring a strategic risk data scientist, a business insights engineer, a senior insurance compliance officer, a teller and an IT project analyst at its offices in Durham and Raleigh.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) is hiring a strategic accounts manager, a system administrator and a video and graphics producer in Raleigh. It’s also hiring a part-time high school OT assistant in the Triad region.
- Coastal Credit Union added listings for a cybersecurity engineer and a cybersecurity operations engineer in Raleigh.
- Bank of America is hiring relationship bankers at its locations in Apex, Raleigh, Cary and Durham. It’s also hiring financial solutions advisors and investment consultants in Cary and Raleigh.
- TheGifted Arts is hiring a site supervisor, a producer and summer camp staff in Raleigh.
- Bee Downtown seeks a director of finance and operations and a beekeeper in Durham and Raleigh.
- Google posted a range of jobs at its new Durham office, including site reliability systems engineers, software engineers, a technical solutions consultant, an account manager, a performance software engineer, engineering managers, a senior software engineer in performance and machine learning system infrastructure, a cloud networking security tech lead and a lead technical program manager.
- Self-Help Credit Union seeks a collections specialist in Durham
- Burt’s Bees is hiring a remote marketing manager and an R&D group manager in Durham.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
Over the last week (since Aug. 16), over a dozen new jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board, including:
- Laboratory assistant and two accessioning techs at Foundation Medicine in Morrisville
- Grifols added several jobs in Clayton, including utilities shift operator, quality materials evaluation coordinator, mechanical maintenance technician, quality associate, two chemists, manufacturing supervisor and an aseptic filling technician. It’s also hiring a research assistant in Durham.
- High containment facility manager, scientific program leader, postdoctoral associate, and lab research analyst at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Supply chain director and third-party manufacturing director at Shattuck Labs in Durham
- Engineering manager, scientist/senior scientist in gene editing and cell therapy, technical operations manager and project manager at Locus Biosciences in Morrisville/RTP
- Quality assurance specialist and scientist specializing in immunology process development at CoImmune in Durham
- Pharma giant Merck & Co. posted several new jobs at its Triangle locations:
- Operations technician
- Associate quality specialists
- Engineering specialist
- Senior engineering and maintenance technicians
- Associate director of automation
- Senior production systems specialist
- Manufacturing automation specialist
- Associate director of quality and compliance
- Principal medical writer (remote)
- Local staffing firm Frankel Staffing Partners posted jobs for greenhouse technicians and a remote director of clinical research.
- Recruitment firm GeneCoda added listings for a senior toxicologist and a senior scientist in medicinal chemistry.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (contract, full-time, part-time or temp to full-time), experience and education level.
Several local jobs were added in the last week:
- SMS marketing software provider Tatango is looking to hire a security analyst in Raleigh.
- Publishing software provider BlueMatrix added a listing for a support operations specialist in Durham.
- Recruiting firm Vaco is looking to fill several positions in Raleigh, including senior technology recruiter, business development manager of technology, financial recruiter, technical recruiter and executive finance recruiter.
- Local fiber network provider MCNC is hiring a marketing and communications intern and a senior director of client engagement and marketing in RTP.
- Network and communication software provider Trilliant Networks is hiring for several positions in Cary, including L3 software support developer, hardware product manager, solution architect, application architect in performance and security, and RF engineer.
- Jackrabbit Technologies, a class management platform for children’s activity centers, seeks a remote director of SaaS sales and onboarding. The company is located in Huntersville, just outside of Charlotte, but it allows all employees to work remotely.
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
The NCWorks website contains a COVID-19 job board that lists companies hiring to fill immediate technical and healthcare needs in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
NCWorks reports thousands of available positions. More than 3,900 people added or updated their resumes at the site in the past week, as of Sunday afternoon.
Here are the top 10 Wake County-based employers with the most job openings:
- Wake County Public School System: 3,123 jobs
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals: 2,318
- Deloitte: 1,339 (+768 since last week)
- NC State University: 1,099
- UNC Health Care System: 1,085
- Accenture: 721
- UNC Rockingham Health Care: 543
- EY: 524
- Pharmaceutical Research Associates International: 520
- IBM: 503
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- IBM: 2,026
- Duke University: 1,597
- IQVIA: 794
- Duke Careers: 725
- Fidelity Investments: 472
- Duke University Health System: 410
- Laboratory Corporation of America: 331
- Durham Public Schools: 273
- Cisco Systems: 269
- Cree Wolfspeed: 241
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Health Care System: 1,119
- UNC-Chapel Hill: 590
- UNC Rockingham Health Care: 562
- University of North Carolina: 410
- UNC Health: 353
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools: 343
- ARAMARK Corporation: 167
- Amazon: 101
- Orange County Schools: 98
- AHS NurseStat: 85
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry.
The site currently lists 155 positions at 27 companies, as of Sunday afternoon.
Only a few new jobs were added over the past week:
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. And the search continues to be intense for talent to fill thousands of open jobs both inside and outside the Triangle tech sector.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs.
Posts from last Tuesday (Aug. 17) included openings from:
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
New Jobs at CureMint
American Underground-based CureMint, a startup with a procurement software platform for dental organizations, tells TechWire it is looking to add new talent to its team. It has openings for several positions:
- Senior full stack software engineer
- Senior product manager
- Product manager
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta tells TechWire it’s looking to fill several jobs across its product development, sales, support, finance and accounting teams.
Open positions include senior software engineer, junior software engineer, software architect and product owner. Interested job seekers can read more and apply here.
The company’s CEO, Anthony Rotoli, cited the return of international travel and new developments in the education technology industry as reasons to ramp up hiring.
“We remained conservative with hiring during the pandemic, but we’ve had tremendous growth and are now expanding our team in the Triangle area and beyond to deliver on the increasing interest in global engagement opportunities and the technology to support it – both with travel resuming and with the evolution of new ways to deliver international education experiences virtually and on college campuses,” Rotoli stated.
Upcoming Job Fairs
24th Annual NIEHS Biomedical Career Symposium: Aug. 26-27 (online)
Now in its 24th year, the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences’ annual Biomedical Career Symposium is among the largest gatherings of RTP-area biomedical organizations and scientists. Postdoctoral fellows and graduate students can attend this virtual event to explore new career options and grow their networks. More TechWire coverage here.
NCWorks Orange County Southern Hospitality Hiring Series: Aug. 27, 9. a.m. – 12 p.m. @Europa Center in Chapel Hill
This summer, NCWorks of Orange County is hosting a series of hiring events featuring local restaurants, hotels, craft brewing companies, caterers, venues and more hospitality industry employers.
CRO Career Conversations: Sept. 8, 5:30-7 p.m. (online)
In this virtual event, attendees will hear from contract research organization (CRO) industry professionals as they discuss their career paths and responsibilities.
NC TECH Virtual Job Expo: Oct. 20, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (online)
The North Carolina Technology Association’s virtual job fair will connect employers to job seekers looking for work in a tech role or to support a tech company. The event is free for candidates and job seekers.
Wake Tech Community College Business & IT Spring 2022 Career Fair: Feb. 9, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
In February 2022, Wake Tech will host an online job fair for business and information technology students looking for new career opportunities.
Job Resources for Local Students
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: