So many have been impacted in mountain communities after the remains of Tropical Storm Fred pummeled the region with severe weather, including record rainfall Tuesday.
Frank Mungo, 86, and Franklin McKenzie, 68, both of Cruso, were confirmed dead Thursday, and seven others remain missing Friday afternoon, officials said. So far, preliminary assessments of the destruction of more than 200 structures, 10-15 bridges are damaged or destroyed along with multiple roadways, totaling up to hundreds of millions of dollars in damages.
People in mountain communities and beyond have sprung into action to help those in need of disaster relief assistance.
Other resources may be available too, but here is a quick list of where you can find or give help if needed from Haywood County Emergency Services, Allison Richmond:
- The emergency shelter at Tuscola High School is housing 7 people today.
- A helpline is in place for anyone seeking assistance related to the storm. The helpline number is 828-356-2022. The hours of operation are from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Residents with immediate life-threatening needs should call 911, otherwise use the helpline number for all other needs.
- Types of assistance available through the helpline: missing person information, food, housing assistance, special needs assistance, special needs assistance, volunteer or donation opportunities, other storm-related needs
Anyone seeking to donate items for the recovery effort are encouraged to take them to the following location:
- Bethel Baptist Church: 5868 Pigeon Rd, Canton
- Helping Haywood: 289 Industrial Park Drive, Waynesville
These locations are distributing items to those need:
- Bethel Baptist Church: 5868 Pigeon Rd, Canton – clothing, children’s clothing, food, water, toiletries
- Canton First Baptist Church: 74 Academy Street ,Waynesville – food, water, toiletries
- Faith Community Church: 289 Industrial Drive, Waynesville – food, water, toiletries
Those affected by storm damage will find meals are available at Bethel Baptist Church:
- 5868 Pigeon Rd, Canton, NC