Adrienne Cole, president and CEO and Kevin Howell, board chair of the Raleigh Chamber led a fantastic leadership discussion with attendees at the Annual Leadership Conference.
Here are a few key takeaways from the conference:
- Regionalism is a best practice in the world of economic development.
- Not only are we recruiting new companies, we are helping our existing companies grow and expand in the market. Recruitment AND expansion are important for growth.
Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Access = opportunities. Opportunities lead to full participation. Jump in and participate.
- We have the ingredients in this market for our startups and entrepreneurs: connectivity and accessibility.
Talent and Workforce Development
- Have a people first mentality. Fit the job around the person through support, training, and education.
- There is no other place in the U.S. that has the depth and variety of systems to train and prepare our workforce than right here.
- The Regional Transportation Alliance has an active legacy of regional business leadership on transportation (540 Triangle Expressway, Dynamic Left Turn, RDU Capital Infrastructure, etc.)
- Number one priority for the accelerated metropolitan mobility strategy – sustainable funding for Raleigh-Durham Airport.
See below for a few highlights from our interactive leadership discussion:
- Employees need and want to be part of something bigger now. Employment decisions go beyond the pay scale – it is about mission, vision, and values.
- We truly need to develop meaningful relationships in underserved communities.
- The new world of hybrid work brings about challenges such as device overload, burnout, and lost connections. How can we keep people connected and creative?
- We must move transit forward – especially with new companies moving in such as Apple.
- Our community is starting to look more like the world – we have global citizens moving here and that is exciting.
- With new demands on the workforce and workplace, Human Resources is a critical pillar in the c-suite discussion.
To see photos and comments from event attendees, you can search the hashtag #RaleighALC21 on Twitter.
Be sure to register for upcoming signature events – our annual Elected Officials Holiday Reception and Launch 2022.