RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – New Year, more jobs. Yes, companies are looking for more workers in the Triangle after a slight cooling of demand as 2021 came to an end.
WRAL TechWire’s weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring, and what positions are most in-demand. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources, and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Here’s what’s new since last week’s Jobs Report.
National Job Boards
As we reported in our last Jobs Report, local hiring activity saw a temporary slowdown in late-December amid the holiday season and concerns over the Omicron COVID-19 variant. But job postings picked up again with the start of 2022, and that momentum continued last week.
Most major job boards show a jump in the total amount of Triangle-area positions compared to this time last week. Dice.com, which tracks tech jobs, has more than 4,000 additional openings in Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill than it did seven days ago. LinkedIn has over 1,000 more jobs in Raleigh than last week, and Adzuna added 1,794 jobs in Durham County. Week-to-week totals also increased on ZipRecruiter, LinkedIn and Indeed.
Here’s a look at the total number of local jobs posted on national job boards compared to last week, as of Sunday afternoon.
- ⇑ Wake County: 43,467 jobs (+915 from a week ago)
- ⇓ Raleigh: 24,016 (-33)
- ⇑ Durham County: 12,097 (+1,794)
- Johnston County: 2,658 (new search area that we’re adding today)
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 17,257 (+1,475)
- ⇑ Durham: 17,144 (+1,523)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 16,873 (+1,458)
- Glassdoor: ⇑ 36,854 jobs across the Research Triangle Park area (+968)
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 17,076 (+407)
- ⇑ Durham: 10,440 (+152)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 4,777 (+105)
- Johnston County: 939 (new)
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” and “0-miles” filters):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 28,594 (+1,011), with 7,243 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Durham: 14,407 (+271), with 3,081 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 2,654 (+34), with 525 jobs posted in the past week
- Johnston County: 1,521 (new)
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 33,532 (+180)
- ⇑ Durham: 15,149 (+362)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 3,870 (+75)
- Johnston County: 340 (new)
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (247 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (9,907 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (344 startup jobs in/near RTP) and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Sunday afternoon, AMA Triangle’s job board shows 71 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 37 in Durham and 26 in Chapel Hill (using the 25-mile radius filter).
Several local jobs were added to the site over the last seven days:
- Advance Auto Parts seeks a marketing field analyst in Raleigh.
- Alta Planning + Design added an opening for a marketing manager in Durham.
- Discover Durham is hiring a PR manager in Durham.
- Duke University’s Marketing, Communications and Stewardship team is looking to add an assistant director of fundraising communications.
- Hillrom is hiring a senior software engineer specializing in video communications in Cary.
- Merck & Co. added four openings for an associate marketing director/scrum master in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and Cary.
- National Association for Community College Entrepreneurship is hiring a communications and marketing coordinator in Cary.
- NC State University’s Communications and Marketing team is looking to add a marketing coordinator in Raleigh.
- Verizon posted two job openings in Cary for a security product marketing manager and an enterprise field marketing manager.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by company, location and job function. As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 226 jobs at 44 companies.
Over a dozen jobs were added to the site over the last week:
- California-based parking operator platform AirGarage added two remote job openings for a tech lead and a business development CRE broker.
- Health care firm Aledade is hiring a practice transformation specialist in Raleigh.
- Elevate Labs, a brain training app developer, is looking to add a senior product manager and head of social media to its remote workforce.
- Kinston-based private jet company flyExclusive is hiring a lead business intelligence analyst in Durham.
- Log management software provider LogDNA seeks a remote senior recruiter.
- California-based insurtech startup Noyo added remote job openings for a sales VP and a data analytics manager.
- Local insurtech startup Policygenius is hiring a business development manager in Durham and a senior recruiter (remote or in Durham).
- Payments software provider Spreedly is looking to add a project manager to its team in Durham (remote option available).
- Pet food company Wild Earth is hiring a special projects associate in Raleigh.
Last year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site displays 614 openings at 28 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- Bank of America is hiring a small business consultant and two relationship manager business owner specialists in Raleigh.
- Blue Cross NC added several job openings in Durham, including senior program manager, IT vendor service delivery consultant, risk adjustment analytics manager, immigration program manager associate, senior public health strategy program manager, Medicaid program manager, portfolio analyst, cost of care principal strategic advisor, cost of care process manager, strategic planning advisor, senior marketing communications specialist, new business consultant, senior Medicare and FEP product developer, senior Medicare and FEP program manager, principal strategic advisor of service operations, strategy and market offer manager, senior digital product manager, senior decision support consultant and client delivery expert.
- Burt’s Bees is looking to fill a research and development co-op position in Durham.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) is hiring an associate TV producer, a broadcast technician and a TV news photographer in Raleigh.
- Citrix added five openings in Raleigh for a paralegal, an SEO and SEM search specialist, commercial legal counsel, a software engineer and a commercial sales territory manager.
- Coastal Credit Union posted three openings in Raleigh for a project requirements analyst, a core support engineer and a systems administrator.
- Google is hiring a Google Cloud customer insights manager in Raleigh.
- North Carolina Central University is hiring for several positions in Durham, including administrative support associate (two openings), broadcast and emerging media specialist, professional nurse, technology support analyst, public safety supervisor, administrative support specialist (two openings), public safety supervisor sergeant (two openings), graduate assistant, human resources specialist, assistant professor in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, assistant/associate professor of computer information systems, client services director and career services manager.
- Self-Help Credit Union seeks a commercial small business lending intern in Durham.
- Truist added several openings across its Triangle-area locations:
- Benson: Teller/senior teller and relationship banker
- Cary: Relationship banker
- Durham: Insurance commercial lines account manager, relationship banker, teller/senior teller and senior relationship banker
- Raleigh: CCB analyst, senior product manager, commercial banker, internal auditor, DevOps SRE engineer, branch coordinator, IT business analyst and senior enterprise technology project manager
- William Peace University seeks a part-time IT technician in Raleigh.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
Several jobs were added to NCBiotech’s job board over the last week (since Jan. 10):
- Quality control manager, tech services quality control manager, senior QC associate and contract recruiter at Abzena in Sanford
- Product development director at Ascent Bio-Nano Technologies in Morrisville
- Bioanalytical and bioassay lead, formulation and analytical development research associate, and formulation research associate at AskBio in RTP
- Beam Therapeutics is looking to fill several positions in Durham, including quality assurance operations manager, quality control microbiology manager, maintenance manager/senior manager, quality systems manager/senior manager, manufacturing sciences and technology intern, senior quality validation technician, manufacturing specialist, senior manufacturing manager, senior manufacturing sciences and technology manager, senior manufacturing specialist and warehouse lead/senior manager.
- Postdoctoral associate, senior lab assistant, research technician (two openings), senior GMP program director, lab research analyst and senior research associate at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Grifols is hiring for several positions in Clayton, including fractionation manufacturing technician (two openings), fractionation technician (two openings), IGIV-C manufacturing technician (two openings), senior shipper receiver, purification technician, associate human resources director, utility plant operator, compensation analyst, HR service center and onboarding administration manager, biochemist, biologist and clinical operations specialist.
- Merck & Co. posted several jobs in Durham, including maintenance and calibrations operations manager, senior site learning specialist, engineering strategic projects associate director, senior specialist in learning and development, regional medical scientific director, associate technical project manager/director, lead instrumentation technician, senior utilities technician, associate engineering specialist, senior technician, engineering specialist, oncology principal medical writer, engineering specialist, senior validation engineering specialist, senior quality control specialist, global medical affairs associate director, VMF product release specialist, senior lab automation specialist, manufacturing automation specialist, senior operations technician and senior instrumentation technician (two openings).
- Manufacturing associate, facilities specialist and lab equipment technician at Precision BioSciences in Durham
- Grant writer at Redbud Labs in RTP
- Research associate at Symberix in Durham
- Scientist at Tavros Therapeutics in Durham
- Project manager/research specialist at the UNC School of Medicine in Chapel Hill
Note: This list does not include openings posted by recruiting/staffing firms.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board that you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (full-time or part-time) and experience level.
A dozen job openings were added to the site over the last week:
- Digital commerce platform commercetools posted 11 job openings, including back-end developer, Spanish-speaking business development representative, QA test engineer, front-end developer, partner operations manager, enterprise customer success manager, enterprise customer success director, enterprise business development representative, engineering manager, site reliability engineer and Scala engineer. (Some of these positions are located at the company’s Durham office.)
- NC State University seeks an events/desktop support technician in Raleigh.
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
About 1,620 resumes were updated on the site in the past week, as of Sunday afternoon. NCWorks reports thousands of available positions across the Triangle area.
In Wake County, the top employers with the most job openings on NCWorks are*:
- Wake County Public School System
- North Carolina State University
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals
- UNC Health Care System
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University
- Durham Public Schools
- Duke University Health System
- Fidelity Investments
The top employers in Johnston County are:
- Johnston County Public Schools
- Novo Nordisk
- Flanders PrecisionAire
- UNC Health Care System
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Chapel Hill
- UNC Health Care System
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
- Orange County Schools
- AHS NurseStat
*Note: This data was gathered through NCWorks’ Labor Market Information portal, which aggregates public job listings. NC Commerce confirmed with TechWire that this search pathway has a thorough process to remove duplicate job listings. Check employers’ websites directly for the latest information.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry. The site currently lists 168 positions at 30 companies, as of Sunday afternoon.
A dozen new job openings were added to the site last week:
- Raleigh-based project services firm Baseline Controls is hiring an analyst/senior analyst and a consultant/senior consultant.
- Product design and development firm MedPharm seeks a technical project assistant in Durham.
- Raleigh-based software startup Pendo is hiring a scale customer success manager, an onboarding consultant, an office receptionist, a design system lead, an enterprise account executive and a UX researcher.
- Local coworking firm Raleigh Founded is hiring a leasing coordinator.
- Cloud software provider Veeva Systems posted two senior React software engineer openings in Raleigh.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded and American Underground teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards. (Those openings are listed under their respective subheadings above.)
As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 2,211 jobs at 91 companies. The latest Triangle-area openings (excluding remote jobs) come from the following employers:
- Aledade (Raleigh)
- Bank of America (Raleigh and Fayetteville)
- Baseline Controls (Raleigh)
- Blue Cross NC (Durham)
- Burt’s Bees (Durham)
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (Raleigh)
- Citrix (Raleigh)
- Coastal Credit Union (Raleigh)
- flyExclusive (Durham)
- Google (Raleigh)
- MedPharm (Durham)
- North Carolina Central University (Durham)
- Pendo (Raleigh)
- Policygenius (Durham)
- Raleigh Founded (Raleigh)
- Self-Help Credit Union (Durham)
- Spreedly (Durham)
- Truist (Benson, Cary, Durham, and Raleigh)
- Veeva Systems (Raleigh)
- Wild Earth (Raleigh)
- William Peace University (Raleigh)
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. And the search continues to be intense for talent to fill thousands of open jobs both inside and outside the Triangle tech sector.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs in the area. Here’s a recap of last week’s openings (from Jan. 11):
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Earlier this month, Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta told TechWire that it’s continuing to hire in the Triangle area after adding more than 20 people to its team last year. Currently at 78 employees, Terra Dotta anticipates adding nearly two dozen new hires this year as it builds out its global engagement platform, which helps colleges and universities connect all aspects of international programming and campus services.
“Fortunately, we’re in a good position as interest in global engagement continues to grow,” Terra Dotta CEO Anthony Rotoli says. “2021 was a record year for Terra Dotta, in spite of the pandemic, and we are entering an exciting growth phase. We plan to hire 20+ more people in 2022 across the entire organization and are looking at a 100+ headcount this time next year.”
Terra Dotta’s current job openings span product development, client support, general and administrative teams. Read more and apply here.
“We always try to hire in the Triangle area first and then move to hiring remote if we can’t fill the position locally/hybrid,” Rotoli added. “Competition is steep for new talent.”
Upcoming Job Fairs and Career Events
TriWiSTEM Ultimate Mock Interview Virtual Event for Undergraduate College Women: Jan. 24, 5-8 p.m. (online)
Triangle Women in STEM and NC State’s Career Development Center are co-hosting a mock interview event for undergraduate women in STEM programs. Attendees will meet virtually with recruiters from RTP companies across a range of industries, from biotech to civil engineering to IT to fintech and beyond. (Note: Registration closes on Jan. 21.)
Spring 2022 Virtual Internship, Career & Job Fair: Feb. 8-10 (online)
The National Institute for Innovation in Manufacturing Biopharmaceuticals (NIIMBL) is hosting a three-day virtual career fair for job seekers in the biopharmaceutical industry. Attendees will connect with employers through one-on-one and group sessions to discuss career and internship opportunities.
NC TECH Virtual Job Expo: Feb. 9, 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. (online)
This virtual job fair is designed for candidates seeking tech-related jobs or internships. Local employers can meet with job seekers in virtual booths. Registration is free for job seekers.
Wake Tech Community College Business & IT Spring 2022 Career Fair: Feb. 9, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
In February 2022, Wake Tech will host an online job fair for business and information technology students looking for new career opportunities.
NC State Startup Job & Resource Fair: Feb. 23, 4-6 p.m. @NC State Entrepreneurship Garage
NC State Entrepreneurship and Raleigh Founded are co-hosting a job and resource fair for students interested in joining a startup team or starting their own venture.
Other Resources / Student Support
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
For Johnston County job seekers: The newly launched JoCo Careers website helps job seekers find companies hiring in Johnston County.
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: