Temperatures are dropping and chimneys are turning on

Temperatures are dropping and chimneys are turning on


BOONE, N.C. — Jeremy Maynard has been sweeping chimneys in the mountains for 20 years.

He’s the owner of Tristan’s Chimney Service in Avery County. The business, started by his father, was passed down, and he says he keeps it running to help the community.

 

What You Need To Know

Chimneys should always be swept before they’re used each year.

Creosote builds up in the vent and can cause a fire

Maynard uses a camera to inspect chimneys after sweeping them

 

Maynard has been called on a lot recently, he said. He’s noticed an increase in chimney fires in the area over the last 10 years. 

He was called out to a fire in Elk Park. The client said the fire caused flames to shoot out. 

“It is important to get your chimney swept and inspected annually,” Maynard said. 

Maynard says that’s the reason for all the fires in the area.

“It’s very dangerous because sparks can get onto the roof, and the asphalt shingles are combustible, so it can start there,” he said. 

Maynard said people are using them without them being cleaned. He said the creosote builds up.

“Hundreds and millions of dollars in America every year in damages,” Maynard said. 

Maynard said the creosote acts as fuel in the vent. He uses a camera in the chimney after sweeping it to check for damage.

He says it is important to always have a chimney checked after a fire before using it.



Source link