RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – Thousands of jobs are up for grabs across the Triangle with the major online employment sites indicating a jump in available positions across the region. That’s a change from previous weeks when some boards showed declines.
And there may be no relief in sight for companies that need people/
“Even though the unemployment rate is higher than it was prior to the pandemic, fewer people are looking for work,” N.C. State economist Dr. Mike Walden wrote in a recent column. “As a result, many businesses – from restaurants to trucking to construction and technology – have openings that are going unfilled. In North Carolina, there are approximately 90,000 fewer individuals in the labor market than before the pandemic.”
Statewide, the unemployment rate continued to decline from pandemic highs with the October jobless rate falling 0.2 of a percentage point to 4.1% from 4.3% in September. Year-over-year, N.C. unemployment is down 2.7 percentage points.
“The number of people employed increased 11,009 over the month to 4,825,767 and increased 138,415 over the year. The number of people unemployed decreased 6,223 over the month to 208,126 and decreased 132,870 over the year,” the N.C. Department of Commerce reported Friday.
But even as the rate declines, openings remain. What’s the reason for the shortage of workers? No clear answers, several possibilities, Walden noted.
“There’s a huge debate swirling over the causes of this situation, with fingers pointed at many possible reasons. Generous federal financial help, continued fear about COVID-19, uncertainty over schools for households with children, lack of affordable child care and a surge in retirements are some of the causes offered,” he wrote.
Whatever the reasons, talent remains in short supply as TechWire has reported for months.
Every Sunday, TechWire tracks the total number of Triangle-area jobs on national job boards. After a slight dip earlier this month, the Triangle’s presence on national job boards has increased over the last seven days. Adzuna shows 1,381 more jobs in Wake County and 1,174 more jobs in Raleigh than it did a week ago. Dice.com, which tracks tech-specific jobs, shows over 2,700 additional openings in Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, compared to the same time last week. Totals also increased on Zip Recruiter and Indeed. (See the full breakdown below.)
WRAL TechWire’s weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring and for what positions. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Here’s what’s new since last week’s Jobs Report.
National Job Boards
Here’s a look at the total number of local jobs posted on national job boards compared to last week, as of Sunday afternoon.
- ⇑ Wake County: 44,324 jobs (+1,381 from a week ago)
- ⇑ Raleigh: 22,307 (+1,174)
- ⇑ Durham County: 10,847 (+411)
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 17,711 (+928)
- ⇑ Durham: 17,524 (+940)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 17,312 (+913)
- Glassdoor: ⇑ 37,121 jobs across the Research Triangle Park area (+232)
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 17,246 (-82)
- ⇑ Durham: 10,267 (+276)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 3,992 (+198)
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” and “0-miles” filters):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 28,875 (-411), with 7,463 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Durham: 14,220 (+315), with 3,008 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 2,516 (-50), with 440 jobs posted in the past week
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 33,189 (+702)
- ⇑ Durham: 13,389 (+333)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 4,025 (+423)
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (264 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (6,524 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (375 startup jobs in/near RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Sunday afternoon, AMA Triangle’s job board shows 91 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 37 in Durham and 21 in Chapel Hill (using the 25-mile radius filter).
Six new jobs were added to the site over the last seven days:
- Advance Auto Parts added three jobs in Raleigh: Senior marketing and e-commerce analyst, summer 2022 marketing intern and associate marketing manager (remote).
- The American Dance Festival seeks a marketing and audience services associate in Durham.
- The North Carolina Bar Association is hiring a continuing legal education marketing coordinator in Cary.
- Verizon is looking to hire a senior digital content marketing manager in Cary.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by job function, location, company, industry and job title. As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 241 jobs at 44 companies.
Several jobs were added over the last week:
- California-based parking operator platform AirGarage added a remote customer success position.
- Health care firm Aledade is looking to add a practice engagement manager and a director of clinical training and development in Durham (remote options).
- Elevate Labs, a brain training app developer, seeks a remote QA automation engineer.
- Raleigh-based edtech startup LearnPlatform is hiring a VP/director of engineering and a director of sales enablement (remote options).
- Durham-based payments software provider Spreedly is hiring a Spanish-speaking sales engineer and a support engineer in Durham (remote options).
- Local telecommunication firm Relay seeks a revenue accountant, an account executive and a sales development representative in Raleigh.
- Edtech startup Upswing seeks a remote director of marketing.
Earlier this year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site displays 638 openings at 28 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- Burt’s Bees is hiring a sanitizer process operator in Morrisville.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) is hiring a TV national sales manager and a state government reporter in Raleigh, and a director of special events in Durham.
- Citrix added several jobs in Raleigh, including digital sales operations director, sales development manager, digital territory manager, senior manager of corporate revenue accounting, sales development representative (remote option) and customer success manager.
- Coastal Credit Union added openings for a card services business systems analyst and a mortgage loan officer in Raleigh.
- Medicago is hiring a quality assurance associate, a senior quality assurance associate and a senior quality assurance supervisor in Durham.
- William Peace University in Raleigh added three job listings for a human resources assistant, an assistant director of academic and career advising, and a head coach of men’s and women’s cross country/assistant coach men’s and women’s track and field.
- Self-Help Credit Union added two jobs in Durham for a commercial loan officer and a collections specialist.
- Truist posted several jobs at its Triangle-area locations, including insurance agency executive, IT project manager, IT business analyst, senior product owner, insurance administrative assistant, systems support software engineer, brokerage registered client service associate, software engineer (multiple openings), commercial real estate analyst, relationship banker (multiple openings), risk data and reporting senior analyst, systems analyst, on-demand teller, financial services specialist, senior financial officer and RFP director.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
More than two dozen jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board over the last week (since Nov. 15):
- Histology technician at Biofidelity in Morrisville
- AAV research scientists at BridgeBio Gene Therapy in Raleigh
- Senior research associate for cell biology product applications at Cell Microsystems in Durham (side news: Cell Microsystems recently received $10 million in funding and plans to ramp up hiring)
- Production associate for cell-based therapies at CoImmune in Durham
- Research technician and senior research associate at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Bioinformatician at Duke University’s Pratt School of Engineering (within the Center for Advanced Genomic Technologies)
- Research associates in genomics and molecular biology/technology development at EpiCypher in Durham
- Research technician at Epigenos Biosciences in Morrisville
- Histotechnologist, lab assistant (three openings), IHC technologist, senior process excellence manager and specimen return specialist at Foundation Medicine in Morrisville
- Scientist/engineer in protein purification at Jellatech in Raleigh
- Merck & Co. added several jobs in the RTP area, including manufacturing automation associate director, senior heating, ventilation and air conditioning technician, maintenance and calibrations operations manager, senior quality assurance specialist, quality assurance specialist, quality control specialist, lead technician, deviation management senior specialist, associate operations technician, shop floor hardware specialist, senior reliability engineer specialist, senior operations specialist, health systems oncology medical affairs director, senior quality control specialist, operations manager, senior security associate and senior operations technician.
- Lab equipment technician at Precision BioSciences in Durham
- Cell culture research associate at Ribometrix in Durham
- Temporary associate biomedical engineer at United Therapeutics in Durham
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board that you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (full-time or part-time) and experience level.
Only one new job was added to the site last week: Verizon retailer Victra is looking to hire a software developer in Raleigh.
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
More than 1,900 resumes were updated on the site in the past week, as of Sunday evening. NCWorks reports thousands of available positions across the Triangle area.
In Wake County, the top employers with the most job openings on NCWorks are*:
- Wake County Public School System
- North Carolina State University
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals
- UNC Health Care System
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University
- Durham Public Schools
- Cree Wolfspeed
- Duke University Health System
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Chapel Hill
- UNC Health Care System
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
- Orange County Schools
- AHS NurseStat
*Note: This data was gathered through NCWorks’ Labor Market Information portal, which aggregates public job listings. NC Commerce confirmed with TechWire that this search pathway has a thorough process to remove duplicate job listings. Check employers’ websites directly for the latest information.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry. The site currently lists 184 positions at 30 companies, as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s new on the site over the last week:
- Raleigh edtech startup LearnPlatform is hiring a VP/director of engineering and a director of sales enablement (remote options).
- Product design and development firm MedPharm is hiring a tissue culture senior scientist in Durham.
- Raleigh software startup Pendo added openings for an administrative assistant, a product management and design recruiter and sourcer, an associate accountant, a product director, a sales recruiter, a senior sales productivity director, a digital marketing manager and a people operations specialist.
- Pivotal IT Services seeks a QA automation engineer in Raleigh (remote option).
- Veeva Systems, a cloud software provider with an office in Raleigh, is hiring an office manager and a clinical research software liaison (remote option).
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded and American Underground recently teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards. (Those openings are listed under their respective subheadings above.)
As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 2,189 jobs from 86 companies. The latest Triangle-area openings (excluding remote jobs) come from the following employers:
- Burt’s Bees (Morrisville)
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (Raleigh)
- Citrix (Raleigh)
- Coastal Credit Union (Raleigh)
- LearnPlatform (Raleigh)
- Medicago (Durham)
- MedPharm (Durham)
- Pendo (Raleigh)
- Relay (Raleigh)
- Self-Help Credit Union (Durham)
- Spreedly (Durham)
- Truist (multiple locations)
- Veeva Systems (Raleigh)
- William Peace University (Raleigh)
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. And the search continues to be intense for talent to fill thousands of open jobs both inside and outside the Triangle tech sector.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs.
Posts from last Tuesday (Nov. 16) included openings from:
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta told TechWire last week that it’s continuing to hire in the greater RTP area. After increasing its headcount from 65 to 75 so far in 2021, the firm anticipates another seven to 10 new hires before the end of the year.
Terra Dotta also anticipates an additional boost in hiring in 2022 as the company builds out its global engagement platform, which helps colleges and universities connect all aspects of international programming and campus services.
“With global travel quickly picking back up at colleges and universities, we are in growth mode and anticipate demand to further accelerate in 2022, with the potential for a 30% to 50% increase in our team,” says Terra Dotta CEO Anthony Rotoli.
Terra Dotta’s current job openings span product development, marketing, sales and administrative teams. Read more and apply here.
New Jobs at Mycovia Pharmaceuticals
Last month, RTP-based Mycovia Pharmaceuticals told TechWire that it’s hiring for several positions in project management, market access, insights and analytics, marketing and quality assurance. The late-stage biopharma company is developing drugs to meet women’s health needs.
A Mycovia spokesperson says it plans to add around nine employees through the fourth quarter of 2021. Its current headcount is 21.
Open positions include:
- Commercial project manager
- Director of trade and patient support
- Senior director of pricing and contract analytics
- VP of value access and trade
- Senior director of insights and analytics
- Senior product manager
- Quality assurance manager
Upcoming Job Fairs and Career Events
NC TECH Virtual Job Expo: Feb. 9, 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. (online)
This virtual job fair is designed for candidates seeking tech-related jobs or internships. Local employers can meet with job seekers in virtual booths. Registration is free for job seekers.
Wake Tech Community College Business & IT Spring 2022 Career Fair: Feb. 9, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
In February 2022, Wake Tech will host an online job fair for business and information technology students looking for new career opportunities.
More Job Resources for Local Students
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: